How To Use And Apply Facial TonerFacial toners, known also as tonics, lotions, astringents are solutions that remove surface skin cells, soap residue and oil from the skin. They are often heavy on water and alcohol and sometimes contain other ingredients like salicylic acid, witch hazel, benzoyl peroxide. A good toner will remove surface oils and debris which may be helpful for oily or acne-prone skin. A big misconception is that a toner will close enlarged pores, but actually it gives the appearance of minimizing pores as the toner irritate the skin and make it swell slightly. The toners remove excess oil from the skin, whisk away impurities that usually lead to blemishes and breakouts.
What are the benefits of using facial toners
- Remove dirt and makeup residue
- Complement the cleansing process
- Refine pores and tighten pores temporarily
- Make skin feel fresh and clean
- Remove excess oil from the skin
- Refresh tired complexion
- Whisk away impurities
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines
- Increase blood circulation
- Restore your skin’s natural pH balance
- Improve skin tone
- Reduce oil secretion
- Improve the elimination of toxins
- Speed up cell turnover
- Promote sloughing of dead skin cells
How to apply facial toner properly:
Step 1 Wash your face
Splash your face with warm water and make sure your hands are clean. Apply the cleanser to your face with circular motions. Make sure you cover all the areas – forehead, chin, nose, cheeks and neck then rinse with lukewarm water.
Step 2 Apply the facial toner
A toner should always be applied to a cleansed face. It should be applied with a cotton pad. Saturate the cotton pad and pat the toner gently over your face and neck area. Apply it to the forehead, cheeks, chin and nose, or to the whole face. Never rub your skin when applying toner.
Step 3 Apply moisturizer
After applying facial toner your skin may feel a little tight and dry and that’s why you need to apply a facial moisturizer after toning your skin.
Common ingredients in facial toners are:
Witch Hazel, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Glycerin, Sodium hydroxide, fragrance, Methylparaben, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Centella asiatica, rose geranium essential oil, chamomilla recutita.
- When applying toner avoid the eye area
- Some harsh ingredients in the toner may cause irritation characterized by redness, itching, burning, and peeling.
- If your skin is sensitive look for a rosewater facial toner
- Never rub your skin when applying facial toner
- A toner containing alcohol can dry out your skin
- Always apply the toner to a cleansed face.