Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Hair RemovalIntense Pulsed Light Devices are not exactly lasers, but are “equivalents”. They use the same concept of selective photothermolysis to get the hair removal done. IPL devices are more difficult to operate than lasers are. They also require a very experienced and skilled technician to operate them. IPL is recommended for ALL skin types including all shades between white and black and for all types of hair. (Except unpigmented hair).
Which Fitzpatrick Skin Type is IPL hair removal suitable for?
- IPL can work on almost all skin types
- IPL produces positive results for Skin Type V
- IPL produces better results in persons with darker hair color and lighter skin color.
What are the advantages of IPL hair removal?IPL can handle any type of skin. IPL can also be customized based on hair color, skin color, and hair depth. When using IPL, the surrounding skin does not have the potential to get injured.
What are the side effects of IPL hair removal?
- Long-term studies on effectiveness or safety have not been established so far
- Sometimes the skin pigment cells (melanocytes) can get damaged leaving paler or darker skin patches
- May not be very effective on red hair, blonde hair, and white hair
What are the different types of IPL Devices Available?The more popular IPL devices available these days on the market are as follows.
EpiLight, Quantum, PhotoDerm, Aculight, and Vasculight.